MISTY MOUNTAIN VILLAGE - OLINDA, VICTORIA, AUSTRALIA

Every now and then we go to Olinda. I've been coming here since I was a girl; it's perched right at the top of Mount Dandenong and is probably the loveliest mountain village I have ever seen. At this time of the year the mountains come to life with masses of colours thanks to the azaleas and rhododenrens in bloom everywhere so even driving up here is a pleasure. I have written reams of books over the years sitting in the cafes here and this is where I come to meet girlfriends for lunch. This village is home to many mystics and a massive artistic community. Fortunately we are in the position of being able to come here during the week because it becomes quite busy with tourists on the weekends. If I want to buy a gift that's a little something different, I know I can get it here.

It's only a small town but these streets are packed on the weekends.

So sweet; a lilac tree with wild flowers growing underneath. The flowers here are one of the
 main attractions; as you can imagine, the soil here is dark and rich and there are many tulip
farms and nurseries dotted throughout the mountains. 

Idyllism is where I met Sue-Anne, the owner, and had my first astrology reading.



Sue-Anne and I have come to know each other quite well.

She has a unique collection of gifts in her shop.


More wildflowers.

Geppettos is the best toy shop around; they have so many toys and my
children and grandson just love coming here. I would much rather spend
my money to support a local trader than the big toy companies.

As you can see, it's just jam packed from floor to ceiling.



The Lace Shop is the sweetest little shop and I have memories of coming here since the age of about 10. You can get all things lace here - doilies, trims, runners, table clothes etc. but also all shabby chic decoré  items and night wear.


Well, this just proves it, Xmas is almost upon us again and I have to admit, when I see a display window like this I get a rush and start to feel excited about Xmas even though I have not started my shopping yet (I usually start in September).

This store is Mangana and I have jewellry that I bought here when I was only 16. You could literally spend hours in here - it is so jam packed full of gifts.




Do other people love blue flowers too? I'm not sure what this plant is (I suspect it's Salvia)
but I took a photo of it as it was growing right next to where I parked my car and there's just
 something about blue flowers .  .  .

This was in front of my car - an old, disused shed (I think) - I love ivy covered anything.






Bella saved her pocket money and bought a birthday
 card and gift for her cousin (my sister's daughter).

Very unusual Australiana art.

It's always colder up here than off the mountain and there's nothing more welcoming than an open fire; seeing the smoke from a chimney is a big attraction for restaurants and cafes. I have many sweet memories of seeing chimney smoke and hearing chainsaws all winter long across the mountainous valley of my home. 



Comments

  1. Lots of beneficial in a row. I give rise to bookmarked your place.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment