PEA AND HAM SOUP - IT'S QUICK, IT'S NUTRITIOUS AND IT'S INEXPENSIVE TO MAKE

How many families are getting by on one income - especially homeschool families. After my many years as a stay at home mum I am hugely fond of bargains and love to think up new ways to get my budget to stretch further. Here's one way. I'm talking about a recipe with 3 ingredients and only four simple steps. How much do we love those. My husband and children ate heartily as I smugly calculated the cost of the meal in my mind; I think I'm accurate in saying that it was less than $10.00 plus the cost of the garlic bread which is fantastic for a family of 5. I'm a big advocate of less meat and more vegies, legumes, grains, carbs etc. and this recipe is perfect.

It's very filling and is lovely on a cold winter's day. There were leftovers too which is a boon in my family with my guys always looking for heated, homemade snacks in the afternoons (my adult son still walks in and says "hi Mum" and makes a bee line straight for the fridge and so does his toddler son now too - like father like son I guess). And now, if we do decide to have take-away from the noodle shop this weekend (a day off from cooking - have to love that) we will still stay within budget. Here's the recipe:

Serves 4
1 x 500g packet soup mix
1 x 850g ham hock
2 sprigs fresh thyme (I used dry)

1. Place the soup mix, ham hock, 8 cups of water and thyme in a large saucepan (we fried the ham hock first in butter on all sides as I believe this adds to the flavour but this is optional). Cover. Bring to the boil, skimming surface to remove residue.

2. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, partially covered for 90 mins or until the ham starts to fall off the bone.

3. Remove from heat. Transfer the hock to a plate. Set aside to cool slightly. Remove the ham from the bone. Shred the ham and return to soup. Place over low heat and stir until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.

4. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle mint leaves (optional) over.


N.B. Children can help prepare this meal as it is very easy; Bella fried the hock herself to earn pocket money.

Popular Posts