NATURE STUDIES IN NATIONAL PARKS












We are very privileged to be surrounded by National Parks and State Forests. We do not get to the parks as often as we would like - especially in winter. But at this time of the year and with one of my children at the annual, summer camp and my older daughter studying long hours at home to prepare for VCE (year 11) it's just Bella and I to accomodate and because we are both right back into our writing at the present moment we have decided to come out and get some fresh air before we begin our writing and home schooling to  make the most of the magnificent sunshine and get our endorphins flowing.

It's good to exercise before work I find; not only does it help to increase creativity but it also makes you feel inspired and then you don't have to worry about exercise later on, when you may be too involved in your work or other family or social commitments to want to venture out. This week we went to Badger Weir and Donnelly's Weir. More often than not the place is completely empty and we have it to ourselves. I have spent many summers here over my more than 20 years as a parent with children - sometimes mine and sometimes other people's - throwing rocks into the river, skimming stones, feeding ducks, wading in the creek to cool off or just sitting on the bank and admiring the splendour of the towering trees and plant life. You seem to be able to access Spirit easily here and I often think of a particular spot at Donellys just before I drop off to sleep - it's very serene. From being here today Bella is about to launch herself into another short story. My children are absolutely convinced that there are fairies here (I would give you all of the details but I have been sworn to secrecy by my daughters) and every now and then I see the oddest scurrying in my peripheral vision . . . 

Comments